Constructing Service for a Subdivision

Are you looking to bring electric service to a subdivision? Follow the steps below to help guide you through the process.

You can choose to hire a design engineer for your subdivision electric service from MEA’s list of qualified design engineers or an MEA engineering technician will be assigned to your project after completing your application.

Step 1: Subdivision Application and Advance Engineering Payment

Please complete the Subdivision Application (.pdf) and submit your application with the advance engineering payment. If you are planning to construct a subdivision with more than 85 lots, you will need to visit any one of our office locations in Palmer, Wasilla, or Eagle River. Advance payments can be made by check or with a Credit Card (up to $10,000.00). The advance engineering payment will apply to the overall cost of the project.

Advance Engineering Payment

MEA charges at a minimum $2,000.00 engineering advance for 10 lots or less. For requests greater than 10 lots, please refer to the information below.

  • 10 lots or less: $200 per lot ($2,000 minimum)
  • 11-20 lots: $2,000 for first 10 lots + $150/each additional lot
  • 21+ lots: $3,500 for first 20 lots + $100 each additional lot

A subdivision application must be accompanied by an electronic copy of the plat or preliminary plat of your development. 

Step 2: Subdivision Service Design

Design will be completed either by an MEA engineering technician, or your selected design engineer. The contractor must have access to the MEA design system. MEA will work to receive all necessary permits and easements for the design selected. The design must be approved by MEA management before an agreement will be issued between you and MEA. Once the design is approved, you will need to hire a contractor from MEA's Qualified Contractor List (.pdf) to construct the subdivision services.

Step 3: Permits and Conversion Easements

MEA will apply for all required permits for your specific project request. Your engineering technician will work with MEA’s Right of Way (ROW) department to prepare a conversion easement for the design selected.

Step 4: Subdivision Agreement and Payment

When a route design has been accepted and finalized, a Subdivision Agreement will be issued for all parties to sign which will include MEA’s designated cost. The payment due (if applicable) must be paid prior to the project being released to construction. Payment can be made with a Credit Card (up to $10,000.00) or with a check at any of our office locations in Palmer, Wasilla, or Eagle River.

Step 5: Service Construction

Once your job is released to construction your contractor will build the design agreed to as stated in the Subdivision Agreement.  MEA will perform periodic inspection of the installation to ensure all installation and safety measures are being completed.

Step 6: Final Inspection

A final inspection will be done by MEA to ensure all constructed work meets MEA’s standards.  Any noted construction corrections must be completed prior to proceeding to final connection.

Step 7: Final Connection

A release of lien from all contractors must be received prior to the subdivision being energized. Services cannot be provided until the final connection is complete.

Please note that MEA doesn't maintain the electrical system until final connection for the subdivision is completed.

Step 8: Acceptance Letter and Actual Costs

All subdivision work orders go through a closing process.  Once the actual cost of your project is calculated, you will receive either a refund or invoice depending on the actual cost. MEA's engineering team will send you an acceptance letter when your subdivision has been approved and energized.

For additional questions regarding the process of constructing subdivision services, please contact our Manager of Distribution Engineering at 907-761-9365.

Q: Do I need to provide an easement?
Q: What can I expect for my project timeframe?
Q: When will my subdivision lots have power?
Q: How much will it cost to bring power in?
Q: If the contractor is taking too long, can MEA connect the power?
Q: Can I coordinate with other utilities in the same trench?